XiStep performs simple step and repeat operations on PDF files in the Navigator workflow. For instance, XiStep can be used to take a single, label size pdf file and lay it out for printing multiple up on precut label stock.
XiStep requires a PDF file for input, and outputs a PDF file onto the next workflow step.
Adding XiStep to a worklfow
XiStep is added to the workflow like other actions. The exact method depends on the client your using.
For the Windows client, drag and drop the XiStep icon onto the workflow diagram in the location you want to add it.
For the Macintosh client, click the "+" button in the workflow to add an icon.
XiStep Configuration Tab Overview
- Pause After: Selecting this check box will cause the workflow to pause the job after the XiStep process. This can be useful for viewing the PDF output of the XiStep process.
- Template selection: This control shows the active template. The active template will be used to process the job and can be edited with the rest of the controls.
- Add template: Clicking this button adds a new template to the system. You will be prompted to enter a unique name for the template. Next, configure the template. The changes to the template will be saved when you exit the workflow editor.
- Remove template: Clicking this button removes the active template from the system.
- Rotation: Select a rotation from the drop-down menu. Note that this rotates individual input PDF, not the finished sheet. Examples of 0 and 90-degree rotations:
- Labels across: Controls the number of labels that are stepped across the media. (X Axis)
- Labels down: Controls the number of labels that are repeated down the media. (Y Axis). Note that some output devices may have other methods of controlling the repeat of labels, like a label gap sensor. In this case, the Labels Down should be set to one.
- Horizontal gutter: Controls the horizontal gutter - the vertical gap between labels.
- Vertical gutter: Controls the vertical gutter - the horizontal gap between labels.
- Maximum bleed: If bleed is present in the input PDF file, this controls the amount of bleed (area outside of the trim box) that is displayed. For instance, a label might have been originally designed with 0.25" bleed, but the layout of the label stock or die only allows for 0.125". Setting this setting to 0.125" will reduce the bleed. A setting of 0" would remove the bleed entirely. XiStep will automatically crop bleeds to one half of the smallest gutter to prevent image overlap.
- Repeat each label: This control repeats each page of the incoming PDF file multiple times. For a variable data job where each label is unique and should be printed only once, this should be set to 1. If the input file is a single page job and the desired output is a 2 x 2 layout, this control should be set to 4.
- Unit of measurement: Select between working with inches and millimeters.
- Order: This controls the order that pages are flowed into the layout.
With this selected, pages will be placed left to right, top to bottom.
With this selected, labels will flowed top to bottom, left to right, across the entire job. This is useful for split web style finishing work.
- Display diagram: This diagram highlights in yellow the area of the layout you are adjusting. For instance, if the "labels down" control is highlighted, the two labels on the left turn yellow. The diagram is a reference on what part of the layout you are editing, it is not a template preview.
Creating and managing templates
XiStep configurations are saved into templates that can be applied to future jobs. To make a new template, click the add template button (+) . You will be prompted to enter a name for the template.
You can apply existing templates by selecting them from template drop down menu. Existing templates can be removed by clicking on the remove template button (-).
Positioning output on the sheet
If you need to add margins, offsets or position your output on the sheet, add a XiPosition action after XiStep. For more information see the XiPosition documentation.
If the "pause after" control is selected, the workflow will pause after XiStep is done processing a file. To inspect the XiStep output, expand the job by clicking on the + icon. Then, expand the XiStep action. Finally, double click the output pdf file to open the job in the system's default PDF viewer for inspection.