We have several options for getting files into the Navigator RIP.
- Hot Folders
- NT Pipe
- Socket Input
- Manual Print (Navigator menu > Print File)
This document explains how to use the Socket Input feature.
From the Windows Search Field, type in the first few letters of the word features as seen below:
Select ‘Turn Windows features on or off’:
We’ll need to enable 2 Print Services on the RIP computer:
Locate ‘Print and Document Services’ and place a checkmark
in the following boxes:
- LPD Print Service
- LPR Port Monitor
Creating Socket Inputs in the Navigator Rip
From the File Menu, select ‘Input Controller’.
Enter a descriptive name for your Socket Input.
Change the ‘Type’ to ‘Socket Input’.
Select the appropriate Page Setup as seen below, then click ‘Configure’:
Here, we need to enter a Port Number:
Address 9100 is a good starting point, as this is the default address for these services.
You will need to assign a unique Port Number for each Socket - 9100, 9101, etc.
You must start Navigator Inputs by clicking the green arrow from the menu bar:
Configuring Mac OSX for Printer Sharing
- From the Apple Menu, select System Preferences
- Click ‘Sharing’
3) Confirm ‘Printer Sharing’ is enabled
Configuring a Windows Workstation Printer
Note: The RIP must be running and the Inputs Started before this step.
- Open the Control Panel
- Double-Click ‘Devices and Printers’
- Click ‘Add Printer’
- Select ‘Add a local printer’
- Click the radio button for ‘Create a new port’ and select
‘Standard TCP/IP Port’ from the drop-down menu.
- Enter the Hostname or IP address of the RIP Computer
and type in a descriptive name.
- Make sure the checkbox for ‘Query the printer and automatically select the driver to use’ is not enabled.
Wait while the ‘Detecting TCP/IP Port’ message is displayed.
No action is necessary.
- Choose ‘Standard’ and ‘Generic Network Card’
- Choose ‘Have Disk’
- Insert the Navigator DVD and select ‘Browse’.
- Locate the PPD folder on the DVD and Click ‘OK’.
- Choose the ‘Xitron RIP’ and click ‘Next’.
If you are asked to keep the existing driver or use a new one, select
‘keep the existing driver’.
- Enter a descriptive name for your printer
You may get a Windows Security window, select ‘Install’
If you wish to share the printer, Select ‘Next’.
You can choose to ‘Set as the default printer’ or not, click ‘Finish’