Navigator HP DFE Installation Process
The Xitron HP DFE is a software interface to connect to HP modular print bar equipped print engines. For a successful installation, please follow the guidelines laid out in this document.
Please make sure you are installing on a dedicated platform. Here are the basic specifications we expect dealer and/or customer-sourced computers to adhere to.
- Windows 10 Pro operating system
- 3 GHz Dual/Quad-Core Processor or higher
- 8 GB RAM or higher
- 500 GB Hard Drive (1 TB or higher is recommended).
- 100/1000 Network Interface Card with Rj45 ethernet port. (WiFi is NOT supported).
- One available USB 2.0/3.0 port for server dongle (USB software key).
Before the installation of the software, prepare the operating system following the steps below.
- The “user” account that the operators are accessing the software needs to have Local Administrator rights.
- Access the User Access Control (UAC) and set it to “Never notify".
- Disable the Windows Firewall settings. If a domain is managing them, contact IT to disable the software before the installation.
- All anti-virus software needs to be disabled during the installation. Upon completing the software installation, Xitron software will need to be whitelisted within the anti-virus software once activated again.
- The following TCP network ports should be open and accessible. 80, 139, 443, 445, 515, 1947, 3910, 3911, 5354, 5355, 8080, 9100, 9106, 9111, 11,000.
- The following UDP network ports should be open and accessible. 68, 137, 138, 161, 162, 427, 546, 3702, 5353, 5355.
- HP Printer should be configured with an IP address and primed with ink before you start the Navigator HP DFE software installation.
HP DFE software installation
- Download the current version of the software. https://www.dropbox.com/s/87g06orfsleayiy/HP%20DFE%20721A.zip?dl=1
- Unzip the downloaded zip, open the folder, and run the HHR installer by double-clicking on it.
- Follow the prompts during the installation process.
- Once you have entered the IP address, select the finish button on the final installer window.
- Upon completion of the installation process, you will now find a few shortcuts for launching our software on your desktop and shortcuts in the Navigator folder located in the start/programs option.
- The DFE is launched by first selecting the launcher Icon, launching the rip, spoolers, logging services, and the configuration client.
- The Configuration client has security built-in, and when it first launches, it will ask for authentication. It will most likely be the first component that will catch your attention and require initial authentication.
- The configuration client has two default users, "User" with a capital "U" or "Administrator," with a capital "A." Neither of these users has a password, so leave that field blank.
- Once authenticated, the configuration client launches with a preconfigured workflow. The default is to load the spot color option. If the version of DFE purchased did not include the Spot Color Adjustment, you would need to remove that action from the workflow.
- To remove the Spot Color Adjustment option, select the edit workflow option.
- Once the edit window opens, right-click on the Spot Color Adjustment Action, and delete.
- The server also launches when the desktop launcher link is activated. You may not notice that the server is running since it launches and minimizes itself into the taskbar.
- To access the editable configurations of the server, your first must log in to the server.
- The server, just like the client, has two users, "Administrator" or "User," with no passwords.
- Scroll down to the devices option and select.
- Once the Manage devices window opens, there should already be an FI-1000 device created. Select the “Stop Thread" button highlighted in the screenshot. This will stop the active threads and allow you to make edits. Edit the device name, IP address of the printer, and the port you are using for the webserver.
- Leave the device name FI-1000.
- Change the IP address to reflect the actual IP address of the HP engine.
- Select port 80 unless there is a conflict with that port (highly unlikely).
- Select “Start Thread” once you have completed your edits.
- The DFE icon on the desktop does not launch from the launcher shortcut and will need to be manually started.
- The DFE will launch within the web browser. Chrome is the recommended browser.
- The DFE Window is displayed.
- Once the job is in the DFE print queue, it can now be edited. To access the edit window, either select the edit icon shown in the screenshot below or double-click directly on the job.
- The screen capture below is the Full Job Editor. It can also be displayed in a Quick Edit mode that offers fewer options to manipulate the job.
- Here is a rundown of the features in the full edit.
- Job preview
- Job offset and rotation.
- Print Option:
- Test Print sends the first page of any job to verify position and placement
- Print All send the entire job to the printer
- Range offers the option to send targets pages rather than the whole job
- Quality: This refers to the resolution of the job. Production is a 300 resolution while High Quality is a 600 resolution. These need to sync with the correct paper profile.
- Size refers to the media configurations created in the XiPosition Action within the configuration client.
- Layout refers to step and repeat templates that are created in the XiStep Action. There are no defaults templates.
- Media: These are preloaded Plain Paper profiles. These settings need to sync with the correct Quality setting.
- Color Sliders: These allow for minor edits applied to the overall color on a job-by-job basis.
- Spot Colors: This option allows for changing the color recipes for spot color mixes and will enable you to save those edits as presets.
This covers the basic installation of the Xitron Navigator DFE for the HP FI-1000 printers. Are you looking for more detailed information on how the DFE interfaces with the HP engine? Resources can be found here: https://help.xitron.com/support/solutions. If you are looking for direct assistance, reach out to Xitron support at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (734) 913-1099.